[Talk-GB] Tagging a named building now used for a different purpose

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Thu May 23 20:37:18 UTC 2019

Looking for some advice...

There's a building in the town where I live that was originally
constructed by the Jehovah's Witnesses and named, by them, "Wisdom
Hall". It hasn't been used by the JWs now for several years, ever since
they moved to a new location. The building is currently occupied by a
jewellery company which uses it as their workshop.

However, the building is still known locally as "Wisdom hall", and that
also still appears on the nameplate on the front of the building along
with the current owner's trading name.

I've edited it to change it from a place of worship to a commercial
building, as that's what it now is. (The previous tags were added in
2015, well after it had ceased to be a place of worship, so I suspect
the editor then was working from historic information).

However, I'm a bit unsure how best to tag it. Normally, commercial
buildings have the owner's name as the value of the 'name' key. I could
do that here, and then move the building name into the 'addr:housename'
key, but that seems inappropriate. So I've left the building name as it
was, which reflects current local usage.

But then, where does the current owner's name go? For now, I've put it
into the 'operator' key. But I'm not really sure if that's the right
place either.

This is the object in question:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/308217826

Any suggestions gratefully received.