[Talk-GB] Farmland (crop or animals)?

Gregory Marler info at nomoregrapes.com
Fri May 24 09:43:55 UTC 2019

What is going on with landuse=farmland, and what are we going to do?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dfarmland

It had a classic "map for the renderer" and "no blank spots on the map"
problem. Armchair mappers found it important to map large swathes of
farmland, which I don't think added much. The default style helped by
making it a very subtle colour.
It was always land that is used for tillage(crops) or pasture(animals).
There was some thought to add tagging of crop=yes or animal=* to be more
specific if desired.

I have then started seeing people map a lot of landuse=meadow. I disagreed,
but it seems the wiki page was changed in November. I don't think there was
any discussion, and Harry even clarified the wording in December.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Alanduse%3Dfarmland&type=revision&diff=1689614&oldid=1663478

To me, meadow is a different to the common farm fields that have animals
in. A meadow is likely longer grass, or encouraged to get long. It might be
for flowers/wildlife rather than animals.

Most importantly, this is going to cause confusion and disparity over what
is being mapped and how/why.

>From Durham,
Gregory.

--