[Talk-GB] Farmland (crop or animals)?

Edward Catmur ecatmur at googlemail.com
Fri May 24 10:57:49 UTC 2019

As a walker, the most important distinction in agricultural land (not
including orchards) is whether it is tilled or otherwise reduced to bare
earth, or whether grass is allowed to establish permanent root systems. How
long or varied the grass is allowed to get really doesn't concern me,
especially as that can change in a matter of months after a wet spring or
an enthusiastic flock of sheep have been through. The exact terminology
used doesn't really concern me, but where I grew up "meadow" was the
colloquial term for pasture, even close cropped grass.