[Talk-GB] OSM UK meetings - opening them to everyone

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 13:08:16 UTC 2019

Hi all,

As discussed, we are moving to open meetings - everyone is welcome to join.
I've just sent the details out on the mailchimp email newsletter (extract
below), but wanted to share a few more comments here.

As noted in the last email I was looking for a new system to host these
meetings on. I have now found an option that is free and includes many
joining options (web, app and phone). If using the phone number, please
note that as an 03 number this is chargeable but will cost no more than a
national rate call to an 01 or 02 number. Those with monthly contracts can
usually use their allowed minutes to call this number.

The first meeting will focus on getting our microgrant programme up and
running so I'm not expecting the need to use screen sharing. For future
meetings this may be used - eg. for a "show and tell" presentation or
demonstration.

Focused topics for future meetings sought. Have you something amazing to
share? We'd love to include it in a future meeting.

P.S. The solution we are using is open source (
https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet).

Today we are introducing new monthly OpenStreetMap meetings which you can
join by web, app or phone. Each month will feature a 30 to 40 minute
focused topic followed by a general update. The focused topic could be
something related to OSM UK's annual strategy or it could be a more general
OpenStreetMap "show and tell" session.

To get us started we have decided to pick the Microgrants item from our
annual strategy as the focused topic for December's meeting (see below). If
you have a suggestion as to future focus areas please let us know.
*December meeting: Microgrants*
Join by web, app or phone on Monday 2 December @ 7:30pm

   - Web browser: Go to https://8x8.vc/osmuk/join
   - 8x8 Video Meetings App: Use meeting name osmuk/join
   - Dial-in: +44 330 808 1706 PIN: 518 299 17#

Best regards
*Rob*