[Talk-GB] Resurrecting the 'find the missing paths for 2026' project

Tony OSM tonyosm9 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 10:44:40 UTC 2019

Hi

I've been using MapThe Paths for the last year to add my local ROW's to
OSM - I find it a great help. If we can get all of the data into OSM it
will enable all ROW users to identify in one source of ROWs and
NOT.ROWs. This is important as I have identified several paths which
perhaps should be ROW's or diversions not correctly mapped by the
Highway Authority.

People provide walkers maps based on OSM - they are very useful when
ROW's are correctly referenced, the route planning can go ahead with
increased confidence that the route will not be contentious by routing
over a private road/track.

I would like missing paths to be a regular feature until 2026, its our
heritage some of which can only be identified by mapping.

Perhaps working nationally and with local Ramblers groups (another
project) could a conduit be formed to enable ramblers to identify
changes needed to the map (perhaps by listing tags and possible values).

Technically on MapThePaths can an option be made available to show
highways (roads) as an optional overlay to help identify ways which
perhaps should be included in OSM but are not.

Regards

Tony Shield

TonyS999