[Talk-GB] Import UK postcode data?

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Wed Oct 2 13:20:10 UTC 2019

I would not like to see that happen. OSM maps real objects, postcodes
are not real and only apply as a part of an object's address. They apply
to buildings (delivery points on buildings really). The postcodes in
Codepoint Open are centroids derived from a combination of all the
delivery points that share the postcode so are not at all real-world
objects.

If you want to apply postcodes to addresses you can see the map overlay
I have produced which you can use in editors as an overlay:
https://codepoint.raggedred.net/ I will update it again shortly. You can
also derive postcodes from other open data sources such as FHRS data.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)