[Talk-GB] Import UK postcode data?

ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Thu Oct 3 00:56:51 UTC 2019

On 02/10/2019 14:20, Chris Hill wrote:

> I would not like to see that happen. OSM maps real objects, postcodes
> are not real and only apply as a part of an object's address. They
> apply to buildings (delivery points on buildings really). The
> postcodes in Codepoint Open are centroids derived from a combination
> of all the delivery points that share the postcode so are not at all
> real-world objects.

Points with addr:* tags are commonly in use and accepted, there is no
reason why addr:postcode would have to be different. When possible I
also prefer tagging addresses on buildings or building:part but there
are multiple conventions in use (points, points+interpolation, points on
entrances).

> If you want to apply postcodes to addresses you can see the map
> overlay I have produced which you can use in editors as an overlay:
> https://codepoint.raggedred.net/  I will update it again shortly. You
> can also derive postcodes from other open data sources such as FHRS data.

Thank you. I've been using your overlays a lot. However, given a choice,
I would much more prefer a periodic, maintained import. Much less prone
to errors, more up to date and easier to merge with buildings, if needed.

ndrw6