[Talk-GB] Import UK postcode data?

Russ Garrett russ at garrett.co.uk
Fri Oct 4 13:06:47 UTC 2019

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 13:59, David Woolley <forums at david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
> Although I don't have a primary source for this, my understanding is
> that the median is snapped to the nearest actual delivery point within
> the postcode.

I was also under the impression that they were mathematical centroids
of the postcode area but the user guide [1] indeed says: "The point is
given the coordinates of the nearest delivery point to the calculated
mean position of the delivery points within the postcode unit."
(Although this may not be true for all entries - the PQI will provide
that info.)

So I guess it would technically be possible to use Code-Point Open to
add at least one address location to OSM for most postcodes. I'm still
uneasy about doing this automatically though.

Cheers,

[1] https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/documents/product-support/user-guide/code-point-open-user-guide.pdf

--
Russ Garrett