[Talk-GB] Import UK postcode data?

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Fri Oct 4 20:25:08 UTC 2019

On 04/10/2019 15:41, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Twopenn'orth and not particularly a reply to any single message:
>
> 1. I'm not against them being in the OSM database, mostly for the reason
> that it's unrealistic to expect every single app to do additional processing
> for all 195 countries in the world. Sure, it would be nice if Osmand and
> maps.me and Fred's routing app and Jo's OSM-based game were all smart enough
> to ingest CodePoint Open (and its 194 equivalents worldwide), but they
> won't. Expecting them to do so is akin to people expecting every single app
> to filter out C-roads in Britain, and even osm-carto doesn't do that. So it
> seems a reasonably pragmatic thing to do.
>
> 2. However... just blindly importing them seems to be a real missed
> opportunity. If you give me a nice interface with centroids for Charlbury, I
> will have a go at mapping them to actual, useful polygons, based on my
> knowledge of the street layout and Carla the post-lady's daily rounds (or I
> could ask her, but I'm not sure of the IP of asking an RM employee...). If
> you dump them into the database as-is I almost certainly won't get round to
> it.
>
> cheers
> Richard

One such map is here:
https://oscompare.raggedred.net/?zoom=16&lat=53.73916&lon=-0.49208&layers=BFF
<https://oscompare.raggedred.net/?zoom=16&lat=53.73916&lon=-0.49208&layers=BFFTFF>

It uses the same overlay I provide for editors:
https://codepoint.raggedred.net <https://codepoint.raggedred.net/>

The OSCompare does need a tidy up and would work better as a
Leaflet-based map, maybe that's the jib for the rainy Saturday that's
coming.

Fill y'boots :-)

--
cheers