[Talk-GB] Import UK postcode data?

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Oct 7 11:42:54 UTC 2019

On 07/10/2019 11:43, Simon Poole wrote:
> It's the nature of the beast that when we are discussing OGL licensed
> datasets that when something turns up that was previously thought to be
> part of a proprietary dataset all alarm bells go off. Do you know how
> they derived that flag and if there is really no residual proprietary IP
> from RM in the data?

Something you have to consider is the threat to RM.  RM won't worry too
much if they are not loosing revenue, but they probably make significant
revenue from licensing the postcode database to commercial mapping
services, so if OSM starts to effectively compete, RM may look rather
closely at how OSM sourced its postcode data.