[Talk-GB] Zebra crossings being lost in iD - how to respond

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 11:56:28 UTC 2019

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 11:45, Jez Nicholson <jez.nicholson at gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 for a bot edit

My initial instinct was to say this too. But if most of these
crossing=zebra tags were added by iD users who selected "Marked
Crossing" and never saw the zebra tag, then how sure are we that
almost all Marked Crossings in the UK will be zebras?

Perhaps a Maproulett challenge would be a better way, if aerial
imagery is usually good enough to identify zebra crossings.

> are you suggesting to just add crossing_ref=zebra, or to convert crossing=zebra into highway=crossing + crossing=uncontrolled too?

If edits are made, we should convert the crossing=* tag too. But we
should probably decide what value that should take. iD seems to be
suggesting crossing=marked rather than crossing=uncontrolled. However,
the former is not documented in the wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:crossing .

It would also be really good if we could get the standard UK crossing
types (zebra, pelican, toucan, pegasus) added to the iD presets to
help UK editors add that information. Currently typing those names in
iD doesn't give anything helpful (apart from zebra that returns
"Marked Crossing") and there are only the marked and unmarked crossing
options if you type "crossing" in.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker