[Talk-GB] Copyright in OS-derived maps

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 13:36:18 UTC 2019

On 05/09/2019 10:49, David Woolley wrote:
> On 05/09/2019 05:48, Warin wrote:
>> If they had derived their data from OSM .. then all would be fine.
>
> As I hinted before, the use of a red line, and a custom printout from an
> OS detailed map, suggests this is a map for legal purposes.  For both
> the Land Registry and council planning applications, a red line is the
> convention for showing a property boundary.

Or, in planning terms, the application boundary, which may not
necessarily coincide with ownership boundaries.

But yes, the red line convention is widely used and widely understood,
so a red outline on a map tends to suggest that it was produced as a
legal document. In which case, it will definitely be based on an
underlying OS map.

> Until you can get lawyers, the Land Registry, and councils to accept OSM
> derived mapping, this sort of map is always going to be OS derived.

Maps used for legal purposes are always going to be OS (or, maybe one
day in the future, whatever other company the government decides to
award the contract to). However useful OSM may be in everyday life, a
map that anybody can edit clearly isn't going to be suitable as a legal
record of anything.

Mark