[Talk-GB] Adding buildings and addresses

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Sep 15 23:41:36 UTC 2019

On 16/09/2019 00:02, Luciƫn Greefkes via Talk-GB wrote:
> On the other hand, there are the Community Maps. They contain very
> decent shapes/contours of buildings. I would like to work with a layer
> like that to be able to compare with aerial imagery.
> The community map of Welwyn Hatfield gives Ordnance Survey as the
> source. I have sent a request to OS if they'd be willing to share the
> data used for the community maps, because that will be a massive aid in
> my current mapping project.

I would imagine the maps are based on OSes high resolution mapping data,
which is the data from which they make their money.  I would be most
surprised if they give permission.

Generally the commercial resources to which OSM has access are allowed
to OSM because they are not the best information available, so there is
little loss to their providers in releasing the data.

If you want accurate building outlines, without paying licence fees, you
probably need to buy or hire a laser scanning surveying device.  I think
the prices may be eye watering.

You may find that some of the more recent OS OpenData has more detail
than StreetView data traditionally used for OSM.  You will never get the
best data.