[Talk-GB] Subject: Re: Thomas Cook shops

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 16:32:22 UTC 2019

The specific problem with that suggestion is that you miss lots of Thomas
Cook shops (particularly old Co-op Travel & Ilkeston Co-op travel): it hits
about 3 within 15 miles of Nottingham whereas there are nearer 11 (for
obvious reasons), and one of those is apparently is not
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/116307151/history> now a travel agent.

This latter aspect shows that editors other than iD may not surface
Wikipedia/wikidata tags & that therefore such data needs to be
cross-checked, and bulk edits may inadvertently change other things. In
many ways I prefer that we acquire new local mappers (like OftenResident in
Alfreton) who notice that an area is out-of-date & set about getting it
up-to-date, rather than doing a partial update and missing other info (like
the shop is now a hairdresser). Obviously others think we should keep
everything as up-to-date as the information we have available. I don't
think we have ever reached a consensus on this.

Jerry