[Talk-GB] Town Greens

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Fri Apr 3 10:48:42 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I made a recent edit to a local area that has recently been designated a "Town Green".

Edit: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/82973329
News: https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/news/lancasters-freemans-wood-looks-set-become-town-green-after-eight-year-battle-1357617

For those that are unfamiliar with a Town Green - it is, legally, the same as a village green. It is a legally protected area of land that is for the enjoyment of the public (Commons Act 2006 and the Commons Registration Act 1965).

But I ran into some problems mapping it.

The "village green" landuse tag doesn't seem appropriate (as it doesn't fit the characterises described) - despite being legally the same.
Park and/or recreation landuse tags don't seem appropriate either - it isn't either of those, despite the leisure connotations the land holds.
Nature reserve didn't seem appropriate as, although the land is now protected, it isn't formally a reserve.

So I've opted for the boundary=protected_area schema. From the protect_class options, 21 seemed like the most relevant: "Community life: religious, sacred areas, associative locations, recreation".

Unfortunately, this now means the land (specifically its boundary and name) is not being rendered. Of course I know not to tag for the renderer but I wanted to check the validity of my approach.

Is there an agreed upon approach for town greens in the UK? Is there anything I could do, within the correct schema, to show this important local area on the default map?

Cheers!