[Talk-GB] Geospatial Commission to release UPRN/ UPSN identifiers under Open Government Licence

Lester Caine lester at lsces.uk
Thu Apr 9 09:25:44 UTC 2020

On 03/04/2020 10:15, Peter Neale via Talk-GB wrote:
> So, will I have to quote a 20-digit alpha-numeric code, if I want to
> order something from Amazon? ..or get my grandchildren to send me a
> birthday card?
>
> (I do not know what these UPRN's look like, but I bet they are not as
> easy to remember as "Rose Cottage, 3 Church Lane, XX3 4ZZ")
>
> We have to think about human readability and memorability, versus
> machine computability and we need to be careful not to make the humans
> do all the work, just to make it easier for the machines.  Making me use
> a PostCode is already making me do some of the work, but at least they
> are only 6 or 7 characters.

The NLPG is intended to provide a single database of all the land in the
United Kingdom. Councils have been building this for many years now, and
it allows parcels of land that the Post Office do not have any reference
to in their Postal Address File to be uniquely identified. Looking up
data using Postcodes can be fun but often due to people having the wrong
postcode anyway. We can identify the vast majority of residential and
business locations using 'building Number'/'Postcode', but additional
data is useful to identify that this short form is actually correct, but
your council tax or business rates will be charged against the UPRN
reference on the council systems. It is not intended to be anything
other than a 'machine readable' unique refference ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL