[Talk-GB] Geospatial Commission to release UPRN/ UPSN identifiers under Open Government Licence

Lester Caine lester at lsces.uk
Fri Apr 10 17:24:39 UTC 2020

On 10/04/2020 17:37, Brian Prangle wrote:
> Can I ask two  basic daft questions?
Perfectly reasonable questions ...

> What use are these in OSM if we only pick at them instead of importing
> the lot ( which is  highly unlikely)?
I'll repeat that we do need to wait and see exactly what will be
released, and how comprehensive the data is, but in theory it should be
quite possible to cross check a vast range of 'objects' in the database,
and more important pick up additions and subtractions of those objects
automatically. The comparison is probably with the French property
database which I understand has been imported, but I would still prefer
to be able to merge third party sources like this with the existing
outline in OSM rather than simply importing everything into OSM ...

> Is it possible to derive street names from USRN in a way that is licence
> compatible?
Exactly the same answer as above, but we know exactly what objects are
being handled, and if populated, the exact status of a 'way' can be
confirmed. The accuracy is only that of the data sources, but there is a
legal requirement for councils to provide updates in timely manor. My
feed was 3 monthly, but I think faster updates are now happening at
least as new road names are created.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL