[Talk-GB] CWGC: worldwide, war graves

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sun Apr 26 12:40:20 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2020-04-26 at 12:44 +0100, Andy Townsend wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How is it suggested to tag "there are commonwealth war graves here"?
>
> At least near me, there's usually a fairly large white on green sign
> near the entrance, so even if it's not something you'd explicitly go
> out
> to map, it's often something that you'd notice.

I must admit I had not thought of it in terms of the UK, but as you say
there are probably war graves in many cemeteries around the country.

I have visited several on my road trips through Northern France, they
are quite distinctive with very white uniform gravestones in straight
lines and always well maintained. They are quite distinctive on
imagery.

As a quick test I ran an overpass turbo query on amenity=cemetery and
name:en=* on an area of North Eastern France/Belgium and that did
produce some interesting results.

https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Tji

The tag cemetery=war_cemetery has some usage.

Visiting them is quite a big thing, one of my Ramblers/CAMRA friends
goes on a coach trip visiting them every year.

Wikidata https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q2312998 leads to
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q14750991 but I have not idea how you get
back to a list of cemeteries from that category.

Phil (trigpoint)