[Talk-GB] National Cycle Network removal/reclassification

Robert Skedgell rob at hubris.org.uk
Fri Aug 14 08:31:04 UTC 2020

On 13/08/2020 15:41, Simon Still wrote:

> In my view there is definitely scope to look at adding more info to
> cycle routes/tracks/cycleways to give more information to routing
> algorithms about the real experience of using them.
>
> Would welcome input on what as we’re doing more on this at the London
> Cycling Campaign.

Is there any more information on what LCC are doing in this area? There
are probably members, myself included, who would be happy to help.

I know that borough groups audit changes to local infra, but having
detailed photographs and notes are less useful to the wider cycling
community than they could be if the information never finds its way onto
OSM.

> Width of cycleyway is definitely useful if separated from traffic but
> some way of reflecting the comfort of the riding experience on marked
> routes would be a big step forward. Traffic Volumes,. Lane widths,
> traffic speed all contribute (as does surface - gravel bad, cobbles bad,
> smooth tarmac good)

Most sections of cycle routes in London which I use already have
surface=* set, but there are areas where using smoothness=* consistently
might help.