[Talk-GB] National Cycle Network removal/reclassification

Simon Still simon.still at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 14:36:22 UTC 2020

> On 14 Aug 2020, at 20:44, David Woolley <forums at david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
>
> On 14/08/2020 19:14, Simon Still wrote:
>> I’m not sure that’s actually a legal status that changes anything - pedestrians have priority on all shared use paths so not sure that tag would add anything
>
> Towpaths are privately paths (currently owned by the Canals and Rivers Trust), so the rules for public paths don't apply.  At one time  you had to apply for a free licence to cycle on them, the quid for quo for which was a promise to do things like give pedestrians priority.

True, but there are also ‘pedestrian priority’ signs in parks and on other bits of shared path.  No one has ever been stopped by the police for ‘failing to give pedestrian priority’ - it would be reckless cycling or something similar.

I’m just struggling to think what the tag would add - either for information or for a routing algorithm.  Also note the the proposals for the highway code would establish and road user hierarchy which would apply everywhere