[Talk-GB] New Bing Imagery

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 19 12:57:29 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-19 12:17, Andy Townsend wrote:

> On 19/08/2020 10:11, Stephen Colebourne wrote:And now I can see Amazon mappers using an iD variant
> that doesn't have the offset and moving all the roads as a result:
> https://osmcha.org/changesets/89549551?aoi=758c7f2b-faca-44e5-acd2-0cb8c33034bd
> If that's happening at all, please comment on the changeset explaining the problem.  In English urban areas OS OpenData StreetView is a pretty good guide for alignment and if people (especially people doing a lot of editing) are not taking into account different imagery offsets then that's just wrong.

Possibly even better that StreetView imagery is data that has been
imported directly from OS, such as OS Boundary-Line for the admin
boundaries. This is probably the closest we can get to cm-level accuracy
- even though they don't give us the full resolution, the base points
such as tripoints where boundaries meet are likely to be pretty damn
accurate. I would recommend using these as a kind of calibration point
to sanity-check imagery alignment and other data based on less accurate
GPS positioning (e.g. from any consumer-grade GPS kit).