[Talk-GB] Comparing current OSM tiles to historic ones

George Honeywood talk-gb-osm at honeyfox.uk
Thu Aug 27 17:45:44 UTC 2020

Hi,

I've made something I think a few of you will find interesting. After
seeing a couple of posts on the OSM subreddit about historical data, I
figured it would be nice to be able to what changes have been recently
(-ish) made in my area.

I followed a method fairly similar to the one in this post
(https://hackmd.io/XfrY334rS7CV0tnPzx8Wvw), however after filtering the
history file to the time I wanted I imported it into Postgres instead
(using osm2psgl).

Once I everything in Postgres I first tried to use Mapnik and the nik4
tool, which worked well enough but it was difficult to see the changes
on a larger scale, as I had to manually create each image. It also
wasn't great for comparing it to the current map, as I had to switch
between images awkwardly.

Therefore I decided that it'd be best to just create a full on slippy
map, using the normal stack, a-la switch2osm. I took some inspiration
from OSM Then and Now as to the adjustable overlay, and followed an
example on the Mapbox website.

You can see the result at https://maps.honeyfox.uk/. Bear in mind it is
hosted on my home PC so don't expect it to be particularly performant or
reliable, and it is limited to the UK.

Ideally you be able to adjust the time period the map shows, but I
cannot see a way of achieving that without dropping the database and
importing everything again, which is too demanding to be done on the fly.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas :)

Cheers
George