[Talk-GB] High quality NLS imagery of buildings and HOUSENUMBERS (!) available in London (and Scotland). Create a tasking manger to add this?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Dec 1 10:11:36 UTC 2020

So that can't possibly be when the copyright expires, rather it's
a question of contractual provisions in a license agreement between
them and NLS not copyright as such.

Of course it's only claiming they do have a copyright that they
can make such a license necessary.

Tom

On 01/12/2020 09:49, Ken Kilfedder wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> IpswichMapper forwarded me this note, apparently received from NLS via an enquiry made by Rob-from-OSMF:
>
>> “I wish I could give you better news on the 1940s OS maps of south-east England.
>> Unfortunately, you’re right, they were scanned by a third-party commercial company
>> who have placed commercial re-use restrictions on this layer – there are further
>> details under our Copyright Exceptions list at
>> https://maps.nls.uk/copyright.html#exceptions. These restrictions will last for
>> another couple of years – until the end of 2022 – which I know might seem a long
>> way off, but hopefully will pass quickly. Then we’ll be happily able to share
>> them with the OSM community, along with the rest of England and Wales
>> National Grid 1940s-1960s mapping, that will be of interest too.”
>

> ---
> https://hdyc.neis-one.org/?spiregrain
> spiregrain_osm at ksglp.org.uk
>
> On Tue, 1 Dec 2020, at 9:41 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> If we assume that a new copyright is created by the scanning (which is
>> a complicated question) then there is no way it expires next year.
>>
>> What exactly do you think the term is for this copyright and when do
>> you think it starts from?
>>
>> I don't think it's relevant anyway as I thought NLS had given us
>> permission to use their scans?
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> On 01/12/2020 09:32, Ken Kilfedder wrote:
>>> SO,
>>>
>>> It turns out - we cannot use these images until the scanner's copyright expires at the end of next year.  Happily, it seems like there will be GB-wide coverage available at that point, not just the London-Southend-Brighton area.
>>>
>>> However, I have been happily using these images for a bit less than a year now, so I'm looking for advice on How to redact. I've tagged all the relevant changesets with the name of the TMS, so it should be possible.
>>>
>>> 1.  Is there an overpass syntax that would let me download (to JOSM) - all ways with addr:housenumber added or changed via a changeset with a certain source tag?  (and not updated by something else later)
>>> 2. Could I then wipe all such addr:housenumbers and re-upload?

Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/