[Talk-GB] High quality NLS imagery of buildings and HOUSENUMBERS (!) available in London (and Scotland). Create a tasking manger to add this?

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 10:51:27 UTC 2020

On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 at 09:53, Ken Kilfedder <spiregrain_osm at ksglp.org.uk> wrote:
> IpswichMapper forwarded me this note, apparently received from NLS via an enquiry made by Rob-from-OSMF:
>
> > “I wish I could give you better news on the 1940s OS maps of south-east England.
> > Unfortunately, you’re right, they were scanned by a third-party commercial company
> > who have placed commercial re-use restrictions on this layer – there are further
> > details under our Copyright Exceptions list at
> > https://maps.nls.uk/copyright.html#exceptions. These restrictions will last for
> > another couple of years – until the end of 2022 – which I know might seem a long
> > way off, but hopefully will pass quickly. Then we’ll be happily able to share
> > them with the OSM community, along with the rest of England and Wales
> > National Grid 1940s-1960s mapping, that will be of interest too.”

Looking at https://maps.nls.uk/copyright.html#exceptions am I right in
thinking that the non-commercial contract restriction also applies to
some other NLS layers (e.g. OS 1:25k and 7th series scans) which have
been available (and being used) in popular OSM editors for some time
now? Do we have some specific permission to use those layers, and if
so does that permission apply to the new house number layer as well?

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker