[Talk-GB] NLS maps
rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 19:58:41 UTC 2020
A few points of clarification related to the other thread.
1. I am Rob, ex OSM UK Director (not that that makes me any more special
than anyone else in our community) and not "Rob from OSMF".
2. National Library of Scotland keep the OSM wiki page up to date
themselves. Chris Fleet is their curator and you can see all his edits to
that page in the history .
3. Any URLs not on that page should be checked with them before proceeding.
I am happy to put the request to them if you like.
4. NLS have noted two reasons why some of their content is held back. The
first change came a few years ago and was brought about because they had
some profitable organisations free-loading off their tile server. Hence the
introduced the subscription API mentioned on the wiki page. The second
reason comes down to the way in which the maps get digitised. To speed up
this process some of the digitisation is done by / financed by / supported
in some way by third party organisations. At times this puts some
additional restrictions on the use of the resultant tiles.
5. A debate about is it copyright, database rights or something else is not
going to get us anywhere. NLS are very kind to us and we shouldn't damage
that relationship. The best way to do that it to follow their instruction.
We can pick this up again in a couple years if we have concerns about the
6. Am not sure why the OS came in to the discussion (other than them being
the source of the map all those years ago).
I hope that helps clear a few things up. Happy mapping (without using this
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Talk-GB