[Talk-GB] No U-turn on a long stretch of road

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Dec 5 12:54:52 UTC 2020

On 05/12/2020 12:39, Edward Bainton wrote:
> Any established tagging system?
>
> The turn restriction wiki
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:restriction> envisages
> turn restrictions at junctions only; my case is along the length of a
> major road (~3km). There's no barrier to prevent it, but presumably
> routing engines ought to know that route correction after a wrong turn
> will have to wait until the next roundabout.

That's a subjective judgement, so would be tagging for the renderer.
The renderer (in this case a router) should be using some sort of
heuristic like only  permitting U turns on residential or service roads,
and giving a heavy weighting to the use of formal junctions at the the
expense of distance travelled.  A real human would consider actual
traffic levels and sight distances but they would be difficult to
capture on the map and time and season dependent.

I think No U Turn signs tend only to be used where traffic volumes or
junction structures, might otherwise suggest U turns were acceptable.

I don't think any driver (or autonomous vehicle) should be making U
Turns based solely on the instructions of an automated router.