[Talk-GB] Idea - OSMUK walkers' map application

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sat Dec 5 15:26:49 UTC 2020

>Some councils insist that problem reports only come through their own
>web sites, or reluctantly, by phone, and will ignore emails (which is
>the default presentation for FixMyStreet).

>The web sites generally provide structured input, whereas FixMyStreet is
>generally free text, and also, the web site sometimes bypasses the
>council contact centre, and goes direct to the out sourced contractor.

A while back I did build an app to send problem reports to Hampshire county council specifically, as Hampshire had a very keen and enthusiastic staff member. However I contacted other local councils asking for details on whether they had any APIs to send the data to, but either heard nothing or a response (as you said) that they were not so keen on input from other sources.

A shame really, an open, standard API - and accompanying open source clients to the API - adopted by all councils for problem reporting would be a great thing to have.

Nick