[Talk-GB] Inland Border Facilities

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 14:05:53 UTC 2020

I was wondering if there were any equivalents elsewhere.

Closest I can think of is this location
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/208540348#map=15/47.1728/9.7746> between
Feldkirch & Bludenz, which although described as a goods vehicle checkpoint
from my personal experience is also operated as in internal custom
checkpoint (and therefore amenity=police might be wrong too). As a group
travelling from Zurich to Soelden many of us were stopped for a
passport/car check. A friend who worked in marketing for BAT was driving a
company van, and was hugely amused at the idea that smuggling cigarettes
from Switzerland to Austria might be a way of making money.

Close to the Poland/Belarus borders there are Border Guard
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Guard_(Poland)> stations, such as this
one <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/198471176>. I think these are mainly
concerned with immigration rather customs. Certainly if travelling in a car
with non-local numberplates one can be expected to stopped & documents
checked (first time was stressful as unexpected & about 5:30 in the
morning).

In Argentinian Patagonia, and probably elsewhere in the country, police
checkpoints exist as one exits more populated areas. These seem to mainly
involve checking of identity documents, but may involve other things. These
seem to be mapped as police stations, e.g., on the edge of Ushuaia
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4027053135#map=17/-54.78851/-68.22473>.

Only the first may bear any resemblance to the UK Inland Border sites, and
the existing mapping is little help. Even traditional land borders with
heavy duty border controls don't seem to be tagged in an obvious way:
Poland/Belarus
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/315791711#map=17/52.07368/23.65932>
outside Brest Litovsk; San Sebastian
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-53.29933/-68.45761> (AR side), San
Sebastian <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-53.32299/-68.65316> (CL
side). The tag barrier=border_control may be fine for light weight ones
such as the skilifts in Ischgl
<https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38719> or the US/Canadian
border <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/49.00211/-122.48487> at
Aldergrove, but I suspect we could do with a tag for the whole area
(amenity=customs is potentially only part of it).

Jerry