[Talk-GB] Idea - OSMUK walkers' map application

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Dec 7 07:56:12 UTC 2020

... Just to follow up on this - if it helps explain what I thought would be nice for OSMUK to have - something like https://freemap.sk/, which I was introduced to by one of the lead developers several years ago at State of the Map Europe in Vienna.

This is an OSM-based map site specific for Slovakia, which comes with many features such as information about POIs, route-finding, elevation profiles, and so on. I've always thought that of all the local OSM sites, this one is particularly nice.

It could eventually use our own rendering but for now could use something like Andy Townsend's style combined with contours and hillshading.

On another matter, what's the status of whether OSMUK has its own server? (I've lost track of this, I have to admit). Do we have a development server where we could begin developing something like this, initially on a small scale (e.g. one county)?

Thanks,
Nick