[Talk-GB] British Waterways

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 12:52:27 UTC 2020

Coincidentally, or not, Owen Boswarva blogged
<https://www.owenboswarva.com/blog/post-ea3.htm> about the EA Reservoir
register open data only yesterday. I was surprised to see Moorgreen
Reservoir still in the hands of the CRT, which Richard has confirmed.

This has a number of other values which it might be worth adding if
updating reservoirs, notably capacity in cubic metres, but other operators
too. Legally there seem to be differences between impounding and
non-impounding reservoirs, but also service reservoirs (possibly always
covered). I'd thought of using designation but the two properties seem to
be disjunct.

The dataset is probably more concerned with volumes of water held behind
dams which might fail. There are a number of ornamental lakes such as Groby
Pool & Wollaton Park Lake. This does highlight that the relevant dams have
not been mapped which may be worthwhile. I used it to find the reservoir
for the Hall water extraction point on the Trent near Newton-on-Trent which
I'd failed to find a couple of months ago.

Jerry