[Talk-GB] Bridleway across field

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 8 12:29:20 UTC 2020

On 08/12/2020 09:36, Mark Lee via Talk-GB wrote:
> Hello. I've just added a missing public bridleway (
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/882278479) which is detailed on the
> WIltshire Definitive Map. It runs across a field and doesn't appear to have
> been in use recently, I couldn't see it on the ground in person and I can't
> see it in any of the aerial images. It runs fairly close to a concrete
> track, however, there is a locked gate across that track (which I've also
> just now added). What's the OSM policy on legal ROWs that have no physical
> evidence and no rerouting such as along a field boundary such as I've seen
> in other cases on OSM.

Welcome to OSM.

If I come across a non obvious path I attempt to look around for a worn
way, especially through boundaries. Aerial imagery suggests the edge of
the field is used. Please check on the ground first to confirm it's
still used.
http://osmz.ru/imagery/#20/51.12946/-1.79511/bing

I would mark the way as the definitive map alignment & add a note
describing the direction that's actually used.

It may be words in a book, but definitive statements are physical evidence.

As the access tag is to describe legal use, I'd remove it in this case.

Both bicycle & walking on a bridleway are designated.

The surface tag is a useful addition for paths.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface

Dave F