[Talk-GB] Solar panels on Alvares House in Homerton

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 16:23:20 UTC 2020

Hi Mat,

They do indeed look like solar panels, although the images arent as clear
as one would like.

You can just add a single node as a solar panel (preferably with
location=roof & a direction tag) or try & map the lot as an area. The
number of modules is a difficult to discern. Using the measurement tool in
iD (or Vespucci or Josm) indicates values of about 6.4, 7.9 and 12.9 m with
width of around 1.9 for some of the groups of modules. I can't really
decide if these are rows of single modules with long axis roughly E-W or
pairs of angled modules with long axis pointing S. One group measuring 6.4
m looks to have 7 modules in the former configuration, which might suggest
a slightly smaller module width of 90 cm. (I'm using this measurement
approach to determine module counts for installations where this is not
directly obvious from imagery: as most modules are roughly 1.6 by 1 m and
laid out in rectangles the typical case is straightforward : unlike here.)

There are plenty more unmapped installations on adjacent buildings
including the apartment blocks to the E.

As aerial imagery quality improves we'll likely revisit many mapped solar
power installations to either improve or check module counts.

Jerry