[Talk-GB] Another milestone in solar panel mapping: over 300k OSM elements
sk53.osm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 13:37:43 UTC 2020
We passed over 300k individual OSM elements mapped as solar panels
Since I last reported back in early October there have been some other
- Dan, Jack & Cos publication of the dataset already announced here.
- Russ's tool for adding module counts, also mentioned on this list.
- Orkney nearly at 60%, and lots added in Highland & Outer Hebrides
- Warwick first West Midlands district to reach 80% plus (Brian)
- Jeremy Harris has made massive inroads in a short time along the Colne
Valley (Chiltern (50%), Watford (120%) , Dacorum (50%) & Three Rivers
(130%)), which provides another nucleus of well-mapped districts contiguous
with Greater London. I've recently pushed both Hillingdon & Ealing to the
90%+ mark to complement this (largely as a result of inadvertently seeing
lots of solar in Northolt when looking for something else). In these areas
the discrepancy between FIT installations & potential number of panels to
be mapped is obviously higher than elsewhere, which I expect to be true
across Greater London & better-off areas of the South-East.
- It's also become noticeable that a line of better mapped districts is
emerging from Peterborough towards Ipswich.
- Doubling of districts with over 90% mapped (Watford, Three Rivers,
South Northamptonshire, Bolsover, Amber Valley, Erewash, Ashfield,
Mansfield, Bassetlaw, Knowsley & others). This now looks to be achievable
anywhere with the newer imagery.
- Now module count & direction are both around 55k elements (over 18% of
total). This is a significant improvement & very much the focus of my own
efforts. I'm finding measurement tools in Josm, Vespucci & iD can be very
useful in determining module counts.
Dan can chip in with suggestions of areas to focus on, but I think Cornwall
remains a target as does conversion of nodes to areas on larger buildings &
ensuring these are actually on buildings. Otherwise it's pretty much carry
on as we are.
One thing I find I'm catching fairly frequently are rebuilt school, and to
a lesser extent, hospital sites. These may merit being revisited more
systematically in a future quarterly project.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Talk-GB