[Talk-GB] driveway-becomes-track

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Sat Dec 12 13:16:47 UTC 2020

On 12/12/2020 12:34, Martin Wynne wrote:
> A common situation is that a service road/driveway continues as a track
> beyond the initial residential destination. This is common on farms.
>
> On the standard map at zoom level 15, driveways are not shown. But
> tracks and footpaths are. This seems counter-intuitive in that driveways
> are usually wider and more substantially surfaced than farm tracks.
>
> The result is that a track, and sometimes a footpath, appears to start
> in the middle of nowhere.
>
> An example of that is at:
>
>   https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/52.2816/-2.4320
>
> What is the process for getting something done about this?

I wouldn't tag that as a driveway. I'd tag it as a track or a service
road. That's not tagging for the renderer, it's tagging according to
common usage. A driveway, these days, at least in the UK, generally
means a short section of off-street parking attached to an urban
dwelling. Out in a rural area, nearly everybody would call that length
of road, especially one that links a public highway with private farm
tracks, a track or access road.

The wiki seems to agree with me in this scenario, saying that "It is
rare for a driveway to be the way to access another roadway". If it is
the access to another roadway extending beyond it (eg, a farm track)
then it's not a driveway, it's an access road and should be tagged
accordingly.

Mark