[Talk-GB] driveway-becomes-track

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 17:32:49 UTC 2020

On 12/12/2020 14:30, Martin Wynne wrote:
> On 12/12/2020 13:15, Andy Townsend wrote:
>

>> Ultimately, if "something needs doing", "someone" will need to do it.
>> Perhaps that someone is you?
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> Yes that someone could be me. I have a server (located in Columbus,
> Ohio) on which I am using only a fraction of the available memory
> space and bandwidth. I have been thinking of making better use of it,
> possibly by hosting something from OSM.

\o/

> >  I'd suggest setting up a copy of the
> > standard map rendering as per https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/
> > (just for Worcestershire would be fine) and start tinkering with the
> > logic that decides what sort of service road is what, such as
> >
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/b10aef3866bacf387581b8fea4eec265010b0d14/project.mml#L475
>

> Thanks. I have been looking at https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/
> but I have a lot to learn. I can do Windows programming, but on stuff
> for the web I'm only a dabbler. I looked at Mapnik and saw interfaces
> only for Python and C. If that had been Pascal, I would have dived in
> by now.

To be honest, I still struggle with the OSM Carto stuff too. That's why
the logic stuff behind https://map.atownsend.org.uk is in lua as much as
possible, such as at
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L537
.  Even if there are lots of brackets, at least they line up.  All the
OSM Carto stuff has to do is do something with a highway value of
"ucrnarrow" (which of course never exists in OSM).

If you get stuck either ask here or on IRC or at help.osm.org.  The
"serving tiles"guides are designed to be able to be followed without any
programming expertise (especially the Docker one).  Also see
https://ircama.github.io/osm-carto-tutorials/ - there's a lot of useful
stuff there too.

> Getting back to this case, this is the farm drive. Beyond the
> cattle-grid the public bridleway continues left through the farm
> buildings, and the surface deteriorates to the usual farm mud:
>
>  https://85a.uk/noverton_farm_1280x800.jpg
>
> It seems daft to me that the mud gets rendered but not the hardcore.
> If I change the "driveway" to "track" that would be the dreaded
> tagging for the renderer would it not? Generally in this part of the
> world "track" means mud, rather than a roadway suitable for all vehicles.
>
> This is where the farm drive leaves the road - this is definitely more
> than a "track" - note the double gates:
>
>  https://goo.gl/maps/XEs4XKs5UUHNBt8E8

To be honest, there will always be edge cases where it's difficult to
say where the OSM tag should change, or even what OSM tag would be best
to start with.   I can think of plenty of places that are 50/50
agricultural track and service road or driveway, and plenty more that
are 30/70 or 70/30 etc.  Ultimately we've just got to pick the best tags
we can, and sometimes there will be odd effects as here.

Best Regards,

Andy