[Talk-GB] driveway-becomes-track

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 20:08:27 UTC 2020

On 12/12/2020 19:47, Nick wrote:
> Hi Andy
>
> Yes I understand the tag that has been used (i.e. designation)
> although I was suggesting the tag "Bridleway", the question that
> Martin posed was that "at zoom level 15, driveways are not shown", so
> the work around in this case might be to make a way with feature type
> = Bridleway?

Hi Nick,

"highway=bridleway" is in use, and is used to mean something designed
for horses to use.  In rural areas that might coincide with something
that also has the legal "designation=public_bridleway", but sometimes
not - farmers may add "permissive bridleways" through their fields to
allow access as an existing horse route.

 From the description given, I don't think this is an actual bridleway
as such (see the picture at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dbridleway ), and so I
don't think it would make sense to map it in OSM as a "highway=bridleway".

Best Regards,

Andy