[Talk-GB] driveway-becomes-track

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Sat Dec 12 22:54:54 UTC 2020

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 09:11:32PM +0000, Martin Wynne wrote:
> On 12/12/2020 17:37, Andy Townsend wrote:
>
> something about myself, is to map and provide rendering for the area:highway
> tag:
>
>  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:area:highway
>
> Country walkers often need to include a stretch of public road in a planned
> walk, and it is very difficult to discover whether a road will be safe to
> walk along.

The trouble with this is that someone has to map those areas. I map
a fair few country lanes, but I can seldom estimate their width, let
alone an accurate area. I do try to record any pavements or paths
("sidewalk = left|right|both", yuk): that is precisely with walkers in
mind. I very much appreciate your point, but how is the mapping
on-the-ground to be done? Even when there is properly aligned high
resolution imagery, that is not going to work under tree cover which is very
common, of course.

What might work in practice is to invent a tag along the lines
of walker_friendly = yes|no|maybe although some may complain that it
is subjective. I am not seriously suggesting that "walker_friendly"
is a good choice for a name, but something along those lines is
the only thing that I think the majority of mappers could reasonably
use widely.

ael