[Talk-GB] driveway-becomes-track

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sun Dec 13 09:06:40 UTC 2020

>Getting back to this case, this is the farm drive. Beyond the
>cattle-grid the public bridleway continues left through the farm
>buildings, and the surface deteriorates to the usual farm mud:

  >https://85a.uk/noverton_farm_1280x800.jpg

Apologies for going off topic, but I knew that name (Noverton Farm) sounded familiar.

A quick check of where it is would explain why. In 1998 I did a  long distance walk from Sussex to the Peak District, following ordinary footpaths (planned using OS maps) and went through this area, the Teme Valley. It was very nice but​ the footpaths were in an appaling state of disrepair, I remember on several occasions that day having to scramble through dense shrub cover and attempt to negotiate barbed-wire fences. I seem to recall Noverton Farm as being the site of some particularly badly-maintained footpaths.

As an aside this walk is what indirectly got me into OSM. I wanted to illustrate the walk on the internet but OS licensing did not permit it, which is how I started Freemap and then later got involved with OSM. I still haven't illustrated this walk incidentally, but...

Would be interested to find out if the area has improved since..

Nick