[Talk-GB] map styles on osm.org; other sites (was: Re: driveway-becomes-track)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 12:12:51 UTC 2020

On 13/12/2020 11:16, Mateusz Konieczny via Talk-GB wrote:
> Note that someone who wants to show their map style at OSM website can
> be included, though they must sponsor hosting
>
> See
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_tile_layers/Guidelines_for_new_tile_layers
>
> As far as I know, the main blocker seems to be
> "Capable of meeting traffic demands. The proposed tile layer
> server/server farm
> must be capable of accepting the traffic volume from the OpenStreetMap
> website."
>
> ÖPNVKarte is map style that joined recently.
>
> Dec 13, 2020, 12:08 by nick at foresters.org:
>
>     Seems to me that apart from the tagging, the issue highlighted
>     here is with how the general public can easily use OSM? Going to
>     the OSM map, the layers on offer are Standard, Cycle Map (which
>     does show the driveway connected) etc. but if a user wants a more
>     specific use this is not easy to find. To my mind this is where
>     more options from the worldwide map fail to deliver and is a
>     bigger issue that can be resolved by understanding the 'customer'
>     journey better?

The main blocker for a map that shows public footpaths etc. would
actually be the "Global scope and coverage" requirement on that page,
since public footpaths only exist in England and Wales.

It used to be possible to easily replace tiles from one of the map
styles at osm.org with another one, but since the move to https-only
tiles that's now much harder to do.  You can replace (say)
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/hot/9/253/166.png with
https://tile-a.openstreetmap.fr/hot/9/253/166.png at the hosts file
level, but need to click through a "scary browser warning" every few days.

More generally openstreetmap.org isn't really designed as a "general
public" map destination, which is fair enough (it can't do everything).
It's easy to make suggestions like "it should do X as well" - the tricky
bit is actually doing it and maintaining it.  I'd definitely prefer a
project landing page that's closer to the German one
https://openstreetmap.de/ , but I don't have the skills, energy, time or
enthusiasm to make that happen.  I particularly like the "showroom"
there - a link to lots of different map styles, separate from the main
openstreetmap.de map.

Another example that is surely worth mentioning here is
https://cycle.travel - that's designed for a particular use case. I
suspect that most people become aware of OSM by seeing the name at the
bottom-right of a completely different site that someone sent them to
because it was useful.  Another indication of this is the number of help
questions that we see where people are having problems with "the
openstreetmap app" or "the site gives an error" (and that site clearly
isn't openstreetmap.org).

Best Regards,

Andy