[Talk-GB] Tagging bike ramp/ bike path down steps

Chris Hodges chris at c-hodges.co.uk
Sun Dec 13 18:50:53 UTC 2020

NCR45 in Stroud goes down a rather steep flight of steps to cross
Dudbridge Road. I can confirm that is what the signs say, having been
there yesterday.  Also the Sustrans/OS map shows it taking the line of
the steps https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/51.73875,-2.23631,18

There is a narrow ramp, so you can wheel a (conventional) bike up/down.
It's about as accessible as it sounds, but the north end of the path
isn't much better.

On OSM the steps are shown (with a note about the bike route)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=19/51.73895/-2.23568 but the
cycle path appears to break

Mapillary shows the sign at the bottom:
https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=51.738716181265865&lng=-2.236989543797598&z=17&focus=map&menu=true&pKey=7X9gKmoDzGaATOILuDGRuA&x=0.14213485370109913&y=0.4081370298673949&zoom=3

It's not unique - I know another example where the Bristol-Bath railway
path accesses the pub car park in Saltford
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=19/51.40521/-2.45026, and I've
seen similar on canal towpaths - in the latter case in particular it can
be crucial for route-planning even manually, as the next access can be a
long way away.

So how should this be tagged to indicate that the bike route really does
go down the steps?

Chris