[Talk-GB] "GPS trace" tracking county boundary

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 20:21:53 UTC 2020

On 14/12/2020 19:21, Edward Bainton wrote:

> Glad I'm not going mad. Does it say anything useful or interesting
> that the "GPS trace" is a few metres away from the boundary as marked
> on the map? (Sorry if this has been answered recently: there was
> extensive discussion on alignment not long ago, but too technical for
> me to follow easily.)

That "county boundary GPS traces" has been there about 10 years or so at
a guess?  According to OSM's GPS traces, my first mapping in Rutland was
around 10 years ago and I think those boundaries were there then.  I
can't see that it ever added any value; it just serves to confuse people
like me trying to use GPS traces to help align other imagery.

I don't remember it being discussed recently, though it has cropped up
before (maybe 8-10 years ago?).

Best Regards,

Andy