[Talk-GB] Removing all stiles from bridleways

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Dec 15 21:26:58 UTC 2020

Andrew Hain wrote:
> What distinction would you make between this and the cycle
> route over steps that was discussed recently or the
> signposted cycle route past cycle barriers in Barnes,
> London?

"Cycle routes" as a distinct concept don't have any legal force, other than authorised forms of signage in TSRGD. It would be nice if they did (in my patch as an NCN co-ordinator there's two notorious sections where the council pedestrianised the routeā€¦), but they don't.

Obstructing "free passage" along a PRoW is a criminal offence (Highways Act 1980). Installing a stile or gate can only be done with the consent of the highway authority (same act).

Richard