[Talk-GB] Tagging of historic 'stink pipes'

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 11:46:41 UTC 2020

On 18/12/2020 08:39, Edward Bainton wrote:
> Morning all
>
> My local civic society is collecting the location of 'stink pipes',
> Victorian sewer ventilation shafts in cast iron. Pics here:
> https://twitter.com/TobyWoody/status/1339679166371926017/photo/1
> <https://twitter.com/TobyWoody/status/1339679166371926017/photo/1>
>
> I've suggested they use OpenStreetMap and suggested a node with tag
> historic=ventilation_shaft. Does that seem the right tag?

That isn't a tag that anyone else has used -
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/11jU finds only the one that you've added
recently.  Having said that, when I looked at "historic" usage in the UK
I didn't see anything that looked a better option.

When I looked at vent shaft mapping in the UK a while back I came up
with this list:

https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L3875

These are physically very different features (though sharing some of the
same function) as your stink pipes.  If you're going to use
"ventilation_shaft" I'd definitely also add
"ventilation_shaft=stink_pipe" or similar to make it clear that you're
talking about:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3590/3390912112_b70a3fb156_z.jpg

not:

https://www.picturesofengland.com/img/L/1106616.jpg