[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sun Dec 20 14:41:10 UTC 2020

Addresses in OSM are not the same as Royal Mail's addresses. RM
addresses are all about their processes for delivering post to delivery
points. The postal town (Largertown in your example) is a convenience
for RM that we have all been persuaded is useful, but RM have ceased to
use postal towns for many years!

I live in a village called Swanland, nearby is a similarly sized village
called North Ferriby. There RM owned a building big enough to use as a
post office and have a small sorting office behind it, so it was adopted
as the postal town for a few villages. The sorting office closed about
twenty years ago and sorting was moved to the town of Hessle then, yet
still the postal town for Swanland remains North Ferriby.

Royal Mail don't use postal towns at all now, they use street address
and postcode.

We should not put postal town into OSM addresses at all. They are a
fiction invented by RM for their processes which they no longer use and
they offer no benefit to OSM, indeed they simply add confusion to anyone
seeing a postal town in an address.

To use your example I would tag the address as:

addr:housenumber=99
addr:street=Postal Street
addr:city=Smalltown

--