[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

ndrw ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Sun Dec 20 15:30:19 UTC 2020

On 20/12/2020 12:45, Dave Abbott wrote:
> There is a page at
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Rjw62/UK_Address_Mapping
> which mentions "suggested tags" but there is no evidence that this is
> in use. If correct I would be tagging as -
>
> addr:housenumber=99
> addr:street=Postal Street
> addr:town=Smalltown
> addr:city=Largertown

This is correct, although there is no consensus wrt to the tag used for
Smalltown. I'm using one of addr:villlage|suburb|town myself. There was
a proposal to switch to addr:locality only, which I argued against in
the past, but it would indeed match RM addressing better and often
classification of the locality is unclear.

This is not the only problem with RM<->OSM address tagging. RM defines
following address structure:

Dependent thoroughfare
	addr:place (?)
Thoroughfare
	addr:street
Double dependent locality
	addr:hamlet|district (?)
Dependent locality
	addr:town|village|suburb|locality (?)
Post Town
	addr:city
Postcode
	addr:postcode

This often becomes an issue when mapping business parks,
hospital/university campuses etc.

ndrw6