[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 20 16:25:11 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-20 17:09, Chris Hill wrote:

> On 20/12/2020 15:30, ndrw wrote: On 20/12/2020 12:45, Dave Abbott wrote: There is a page at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Rjw62/UK_Address_Mapping which mentions "suggested tags" but there is no evidence that this is in use. If correct I would be tagging as -
>
> addr:housenumber=99
> addr:street=Postal Street
> addr:town=Smalltown
> addr:city=Largertown
>
> This is correct, although there is no consensus wrt to the tag used for Smalltown. I'm using one of addr:villlage|suburb|town myself. There was a proposal to switch to addr:locality only, which I argued against in the past, but it would indeed match RM addressing better and often classification of the locality is unclear.

Using the two separate towns is not correct. The house (or whatever) is
not in Largertown,it is in Smalltown.

Postal towns are in invention of Royal Mail. Correct addressing of any
location are set by Local Authorities, not Royal Mail. There are no
postal towns in LA addresses.

In the original example the 'Smalltown' (or indeed village or even
hamlet) translates into addr:city in OSM. I know this may look confusing
as a small villiage is not a city, but that is, IMHO, the correct way
tobuild an OSM UK address.

Adding postal towns is not only redundant, but is misleading. It looks
as though the way to find Smalltown would be first to go to Largertown,
when that is very rarely the case. OSM addresses are hierarchical, RM
addressing is not as postal town is usually a separate place.

That depends on your paradigm. If the address is the "postal address",
then we should follow (or map to) RM addressing. If the address is "for
navigation purposes" we would need a different model. Many countries
(not the UK) use addresses as (partial) identifiers, and that paradigm
has yet another set of requirements.

Sometimes the Post Town is not even in the same country - addresses in
Tutshill, Gloucestershire have Chepstow as their Post Town. If that is
not tagged explicitly, what algorithm is going to infer that correctly?

Are you advocating removing all address elements superior to street, and
forcing users to look up the other elements in PAF? What would otherwise
be the use case for having city/town etc in an address in OSM?