[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 20 16:35:26 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-20 17:16, Chris Hill wrote:

> On 20/12/2020 14:57, Colin Smale wrote:
>
> On 2020-12-20 15:41, Chris Hill wrote:
> Addresses in OSM are not the same as Royal Mail's addresses. RM addresses are all about their processes for delivering post to delivery points. The postal town (Largertown in your example) is a convenience for RM that we have all been persuaded is useful, but RM have ceased to use postal towns for many years!
> Are you not thinking of Postal Counties? They were indeed deprecated many years ago (1996), but the Post Town is AFAIK a mandatory component of a postal address, and Wikipedia agrees: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_town

No, Counties are still useful. The only reason RM no longer uses
counties is that they depend on postcodes and street addresses to
deliver. We are not confined to delivering using RM's infrastructure.
Near to York there is a village called Dunnington, near to Hull there is
another small village called Dunnington. Without postcodes the county is
vital to reach the right place.

What does Royal Mail say in their Postcode lookup tool? They use the
Post Town to distinguish the two (and no sign of the county in either
case):

Flat A
Cherry Tree Court
Dunnington