[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Mon Dec 21 15:40:56 UTC 2020

On 21/12/2020 15:28, Colin Smale wrote:

> On 2020-12-21 16:07, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 12:50, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl
>> <mailto:colin.smale at xs4all.nl>> wrote:
>>
>>> Royal Mail say that a house number must be numeric, and anything else
>>> (like Rose Cottage, 7A, 3-7, 11/13 etc) should go in the house name
>>> field.
>>
>> So in  a row of three adjacent, identical houses, known as 11, 11A,
>> and 15, two have numbers and one has a name? That's not logical.
>>
> Hey, this is Royal Mail we are talking about here...
> Building Number must be numeric, max length=4
> https://www.poweredbypaf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Latest-Programmers_guide_Edition-7-Version-6.pdf

Do you think we could get away from talking about Royal Mail please as
though they are the only way to create addresses.

The original question was about how to represent an address *in OSM*.

I have seen a number of replies that seem to say that Royal Mail is the
authority on addressing, they are not!

Addresses are created by Local Authorities, not Royal Mail, RM only
supply the postcode.

No one can claim that Royal Mail's handling of addresses is great, we
have an opportunity to create useful, meaningful addresses in an Open
database that could become the go-to place for addressing in the same
way that OSM is steadily becoming the map of choice.

Let's start by dropping any address component that is only useful to a
single company and that doesn't benefit anyone else, namely the postal
town. It is not needed and it is confusing. Let's not compound the mess
that RM has made of addresses in the UK by repeating their mistakes.

No postal town in OSM addresses please.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)