[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

Ken Kilfedder spiregrain_osm at ksglp.org.uk
Mon Dec 21 16:09:00 UTC 2020

> I just add `name`="Fourth Row" to the `building=terrace` for simplicity,
> although duplicating with `addr:housename` also seems OK.

For these terraces in my neck of the woods, sometimes the numbering continues on the rest of the street.   For these, I use a landuse=residential with name= set to the name of the terrace.   Like this: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/643172532 . Those houses have the address "160 Langthorne Road" etc. and "St. Patrick's Terrace" is of historic/heritage interest.  (In my view!)

In other cases, (like this one https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/870814215 ) the house-number sequence is different from the main road. (e.g. there is a "1 Margery Terrace" and a different "1 Margery Park Road").   So here I've created a named section of footway to bear the terrace numbering, as well as a named residential area to contain the footway, houses and gardens.

I don't claim this is the best option - I offer another set of alternatives.   But at least searching for addresses will probably give the expected result (I think?).

---
https://hdyc.neis-one.org/?spiregrain
spiregrain_osm at ksglp.org.uk