[Talk-GB] Slow Ways

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Sun Dec 27 22:02:06 UTC 2020

On 27/12/2020 21:16, Dave F via Talk-GB wrote:
> On 27/12/2020 11:30, Malcolm Herring via Talk-GB wrote:
>> Does anybody know anything about https://slowways.uk? They don't
>> appear to know anything about OSM!
>
> He's definitely aware, as I've communicated with him via twitter, but
> appears to be in some kind of denial.

What's his Twitter username?

> It's also unclear (to me) who will own the data. Is this a Google model
> of 'you spend your own time collating the data, we'll own it as soon as
> you upload it to us'?

One of the FAQs is "Will Slow Ways route information be available under
a Creative Commons license?", and the answer is "Yes".

https://slowways.uk/frequently-asked-questions/

However, that's not really a helpful answer. To be reusable, it doesn't
just need something published under "a" CC licence. There are several CC
licences that are incompatible with OSM, and with many possible uses of
the Slow Ways data. There needs to be a commitment to publishing it
under a fully reusable licence, compatible with CC-BY, ODbl and OGL. And
the open data needs to include full geographic coordinates
(lines/multilines/polygons), not just an overview.

If the licence is compatible, I think this could be useful for OSM.
Although it wouldn't be suitable for creating ways where they don't
exists in OSM, it could be used to tag ways and relations that already
exist, in a similar way to the National Cycle Network. But that requires
the data to be published in a useful format, under a useful licence.

Mark